You are about to leave this site.
Please be aware that your current cart is not saved yet and cannot be restored on the new site nor when you come back. If you want to save your cart please login in into your account.
CellXpert® C170 - Cell Culture Incubator
For More Reproducible Cell Culture Results – CellXpert CO2 Incubators
CellXpert® C170i CO2 Incubator from Eppendorf - Easy cleaning, reliable contamination prevention
Product InformationThe C170 is the basic version of the C170i. It comes with the same uniform atmosphere, fast recovery, cleanability, high usable space but for example with a simpler user interface and less in-field upgradeable options. Use the flyer “C170i vs. C170” to find the right device for your needs.
You will find additional download material at the bottom of this page
Show more Products
Show more Products
Show more Products
Show more Products
CellXpert – a new family of Eppendorf CO2 incubators
CellXpert® C170i or C170 cell culture incubator – What is the best choice for your needs?
The C170 is the more economical, basic version of the C170i. If you need, e.g. more future flexibility, O2 control, copper interior, humidity monitoring, advanced documentation, user management, or if you have a requirement for 180 °C disinfection – the C170i is recommended.
Download guide: Find the right CellXpert for your needs
Contamination prevention – If it's easy to do, it's more likely to get done
Prevention of lab downtime and sample loss is essential for you to deliver cell culture results in time? You cannot afford to spend too much time and money on standardized cleaning of your cell culture incubator or on changing costly, non-sterilizable, fan-associated HEPA-filters? The CellXpert C170 cell culture incubator supports you with:
• Integrated 140 °C high temperature disinfection
• Minimal internal parts can be removed in 40 s and wiped quickly
• Nowhere to hide for contaminants and cleaned fast: Smooth, seamless incubator chamber
• No fan or non-sterilizable fan-associated HEPA-filters that can become potential contamination sources
• Option for 4-segmented inner door for added protection
Learn more: Video – Easy cleaning and reliable contamination prevention with CellXpert®CO2 incubators
Optimized growth conditions for reproducible cell culture results
Many cell culture experiments are not reproducible due to several reasons. A key factor in missing reproducibility can be atmospheric variations inside the CO2 incubator (e.g. due to extended/frequent door openings or heterogeneous atmosphere distribution). CellXpert® cell culture incubators support more reproducible culturing results by:
• Temperature uniformity throughout the incubator chamber, verified at 27 spots inside based on German Norm DIN 12880
• Fast CO2 and temperature recovery after door opening < 5 min without setpoint overshoot
• Higher protection from vibrations and turbulence on the top shelf with fanless incubator design – put your vessels wherever you like
• State-of-the-art dual channel and high temperature resistant IR-sensor for CO2 control
• Dedicated IQ/OQ and Eppendorf service contracts
Is a fan inside your cell culture incubator necessary for fast atmosphere recovery after door opening and spatial homogeneity?
Fanless cell culture incubators have always been a solid choice when easy cleaning, effective contamination prevention, and protection from vibrations and air turbulences is key. In addition, these incubators usually provide significantly more usable space because of less internal parts compared to fan-assisted cell culture incubators (e.g. no ducts, filters, fan itself etc.). In the past, however, fast atmosphere recovery after door opening and spatial homogeneity compared to fan-assisted cell culture incubators have always been a challenge for fanless CO2 incubators. CellXpert® cell culture incubators solved this former disadvantage by various technologies like multiple, independent temperature sensors (see section below), as well as advanced microprocessor and gas control.
The result: CellXpert® cell culture incubators can easily compete with fan-assisted devices regarding recovery and spatial homogeneity of CO2 and temperature (see below) – while providing easy cleaning, reliable contamination prevention, and high usable space.
No fan = No costly, fan-associated internal HEPA-filters
Because of their fanless design, CellXpert CO2 incubators don´t need fan-associated internal HEPA-filters.
Generally, fan-associated HEPA-filters are included in heat-sensitive cartridges and need to be removed before starting a high temperature disinfection. Afterwards, the HEPA-filter (that traps particles, but does not destroy them) often needs to be reinstalled at the backside of the incubator chamber. This results in a high contamination risk due to extended door opening and reaching inside the clean incubator chamber a full arm's length.
CellXpert cell culture incubators reduce significant recurring costs for fan-associated HEPA-filters that must be replaced regularly (usually twice yearly is recommended) – while offering strong contamination protection.
Innovative CO2 incubator heating concept
High temperature uniformity is required to compare cell growth in vessels at different locations inside the cell culture incubator. In the CellXpert, this uniformity is achieved by advanced microprocessor control and an innovative heating concept. This concept replaces the use of one or two temperature sensors (the second is almost always just used to control for harmful overtemperature) with multiple, independent sensors in different incubator locations. The power of this novel approach has been verified by measuring the temperature deviation among 27 spots inside the cell culture incubator – a measurement that is based on the German norm DIN 12880.
What is the best place for your vessels inside the cell culture incubator?
Learn more: White Paper about CO2 incubator homogeneity
Do you put cell culture vessels on the top shelf of your fan-assisted cell culture incubator? Are you afraid of vibrations or increased medium evaporation?
Have you ever experienced variations between cells grown in vessels on different incubator shelves, especially between the top shelf and others?
In addition to atmospheric inhomogeneities, cells on the top shelf can experience vibrations and increased medium evaporation that can be induced by incubator fans. Fan-induced vibrations can lead to vessel vibration and thus uneven cell growth – especially in the case of sensitive cells. Additionally, fan-induced air turbulences can disrupt the protective micro-atmosphere above the medium and thus lead to increase medium evaporation. Vibrations and fan-induced air turbulences can be effectively avoided with fanless cell culture incubators like the CellXpert.
Put your vessels wherever you like and enjoy peace of mind using the top shelf – for more reproducible results and more valuable space.
Save money and cell culture lab space
In addition to initial incubator acquisition costs, several running costs add to the overall lab expenses and total costs of ownership. These factors include, e.g. regular replacement of fan-associated HEPA-filters or UV-lamps, loss of lab space (low vessel capacity vs. footprint ratio), or high gas consumption including more frequent cylinder exchange efforts.
CellXpert® cell culture incubators significantly reduce lab costs by:
• Saving lab space: Up to 25 % more usable space inside within a small footprint (no additional interior parts like fan, air ducts, HEPA-filters etc.)
• Saving up to 1000 € / 1100 USD in five years: No internal expendable parts like fan-associated HEPA-filters or UV-lamps
• Significantly lower CO2 consumption by smart gas control and low clearance construction
• Long-lasting quality – Made in Germany
• Features and accessories already included: Three shelves, dual-channel IR-sensor for CO2 control (instead of TC-sensor) etc.
Learn more: White Paper - How to Save Money with CellXpert®CO2 incubators
Efficient lab and device management with VisioNize® Lab Suite
Are you interested in monitoring your lab devices and receiving notifications e.g., for device alarms? A digital, connected lab offers even more.
Gain access to a modular range of digital services and choose what works for your lab. VisioNize Lab Suite offers everything you need as a Lab Manager or Scientist to get started to digitally manage your lab for increased sample security, compliance needs and maintenance management.
Chart your own course to digital lab excellence! Find out more
|Capacity||170 L (6,0 ft³)|
|Display||softkey operated LCD display|
|Power supply||220 – 240 V, 50 – 60 Hz|
|Weight w/o accessories||113 kg / 249 lb|
|High temperature disinfection (HTD)||140 °C|
|Sealed inner glass doors||yes|
|Segmented door options||4 segments|
|Temperature control increment||±0.1 °C|
|Temperature stability at 37 °C||±0.1 °C|
|Temperature range||Ambient +4 °C to 50 °C|
|Temperature uniformity||±0.3 °C|
|CO2 range||0.1 – 20 %|
|CO2 control increment||±0.1 %|
|CO2 stability at 5 % CO2||±0.1 %|
|CO2 uniformity||±0.1 %|
|Number of shelves (standard/max)||3 (4 with 4-segmented door)/8|
|Max. load/shelf||10 kg|
|Max. load/rack||40 kg|
|Data export interface||Ethernet|
|Benchtop (B), Under Bench (U), Floor (F) or Stackable (S)||B, U, F, S (x2)|
|On-board data logging||–|
|Temperature range||Ambient +4 °C to 50 °C|
|Temperature accuracy||±0.3 °C|
- Easy cleaning: Seamless chamber, easy disassembly in 40 s
- Effective contamination protection: 140 °C High temperature disinfection (HTD), no internal fan-associated HEPA-filters necessary
- Temperature uniformity: Innovative heating concept with multiple independent temperature sensors – verified at 27 spots inside the incubator according to German DIN 12880 norm
- Fast recovery after door opening: Temperature and CO2 in less than 5 min – no regulation overshoot for sample safety
- Enhanced vibration and turbulence protection: No fan inside
- Save money: Up to 25 % more usable space by fanless design, no internal expendable parts (e.g. fan-associated HEPA-filters), significantly reduced gas consumption
- Eppendorf Quality: Engineered and produced in Hamburg, Germany
- You need more? If you need more options (e.g. O2 control, humidity monitoring, copper interior), 180 °C disinfection, or future flexibility – consider the CellXpert® C170i
Downloads: CellXpert® C170